This blog has now reached it's end. The American Adventure has finished. Will there be a sequel in the near future? One will never know, but for now let's let the credits roll...

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Chapter 888.888

No this is not the early Chinese New Year special.

I was just having some thoughts.

And once again I've been thinking in point form.

- The world of music is far larger than anyone can ever imagine.
- There are musicians that exist in every corner of the world that are far superior to those that we see today.
- The ones that we hold in such high regard can easily be outclassed by someone completely unknown from a tiny corner in the universe.
- I know this for I have witnessed within these school walls, musicians who can literally take over the world.
- Who do we idolize in our own country? Who do we know? What do we truly know?
- How can we claim someone is the best 'undiscovered' musician when, in truth, there are millions more 'undiscovered' ones who are even more capable?

Why these thoughts you might ask?

To illustrate my conclusion, here is more powerpoints.

- I have improved more in my level of consciousness rather than skill. That is not to say that my skill has not improved. In fact it has greatly.
- (on a side note, my skill level has increased by leaps and bounds that I can boldly claim that I can hold my own against Malaysia's 'top' drummers. They are nothing to me now.
- That's because my realisation that there are far superior people where I am now has altered both my approach to my playing and my mindset.


Hear now the words of a music student.

The first step to becoming great is understanding that no matter how great you are, there is always someone greater.

The second step to becoming great is finding that greater person and aspiring to be greater than him.

These two steps form a vicious cycle - in a good way. And with realisation comes motivation, and with motivation comes dedication, and with dedication comes awesomeness.

I'm starting to feel some awesomeness.

Part of me is itching to come back home and show off - human nature is such that pride is ever present. But denying it would be far worse I suppose. Indeed, I cannot way to show off some of my new skills. I cannot wait to go up to some of the drummers I've imagined were greater than me and go 'IN YO FACE!' - well... maybe not that violently.

All these are thoughts from my latest practice session, where I've had an amazing revelation on how much I've actually improved and why.

If you do quote my great quote, do give me the credit. Here it is again.

'The first step to becoming great is understanding that no matter how great you are, there is always someone greater.
The second step to becoming great is finding that greater person and aspiring to be greater than him.'

KJ the wise has spoken.


No comments: