This blog has now reached it's end. The American Adventure has finished. Will there be a sequel in the near future? One will never know, but for now let's let the credits roll...

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Chapter 5% - the art of Elevator talk

I'm not one for small talk. In fact I hate small talk. I much prefer 'bullshit' talk where you just get together with friends and talk bullshit.

I guess it's a huge disadvantage to not know how to make small talk. I can never initiate a conversation with strangers. In fact I don't really talk alot unless it's bullshit talk with people who also indulge in bullshit talk.

But here in America we have Elevator talk culture. I guess it's something rare in Malaysia. You don't talk to anyone in the lift no matter how long the journey takes. The only time the silence is broken is when someone yawns, sneezes, coughs, burps or farts. No one talks. And I'm quite happy to be in that situation.

But things here change. I now take the lift everyday several times to get to my 4th floor apartment. And when you do on the occasion meet someone in the great glass elevator (no it's not glass.. I'm just.. nevermind) then Elevator Talk commences.

I literally just met a guy whom I've never seen before in my life and he just started telling me about his week and his work. Amazing how much knowledge you can cram into a 30 second lift ride from the ground floor to the 4th. It all starts with a 'how you doing?' or a 'how's it going?' and then if you're kind enough to answer and ask back, then only God knows where the conversation will end up.

I guess it is a good thing. Elevator Talk culture isn't really all that bad. In fact, the world would be a nicer place if people talked more freely like that.

Whatever it may be, I am learning the art of Elevator Talk.

Watch out.


*Oh and watch this video. Music ppl, it will brighten up your day for sure.

No comments: