This blog has now reached it's end. The American Adventure has finished. Will there be a sequel in the near future? One will never know, but for now let's let the credits roll...

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Chapter 55

This blog post was inevitable. After so many tweets about it, I just had to post something about it. I think most of you know what I'm talking about.

THE RAIN.

Oh yes. It's got itself a couple of tweets in a row, but now it gets a whole post by itself.

It's been raining for 2 days straight. And it's gone between relatively heavy to light drizzle over and over again. It fluctuates around the clock. I think it's stopped now, but the rain clouds are still up there in the sky and if it stays that way, we'll be expecting more. It's still got nothing on the 1 hour super heavy thunderstorms back home, where the raindrops are so huge they sometimes hurt you when they bonk you on the head. It's not that heavy, but it's reasonable. You can still get soaked from it. Thank God for the schools shuttle bus service, or I'd be going home wet like a wet object that's been soaking in wetness. And dripping with.. wetness. Aren't my adjectives amazing.

And I'm loving every bit of it. I loved the rain back home, but after coming here, I've learned to appreciate it even more.

It makes me realise that after 6 months of not having something you've had forever, you tend to enjoy it much more when it comes. It's like a Christmas present. Or a fancy dinner that you treat yourself to once a year. Or a holiday to somewhere exotic. It's new. And it's incredible. It's funny how something as simple as vapour forming in the sky and collecting together with small particles in the air and then coming down to the lithosphere under the pull of gravity can be so refreshing and invigorating. It's just water, falling from the sky. When you say it like that, suddenly it sounds so miraculous.

I think about how God ordained the skies to carry the rain. How He made the water cycle of the earth. Scientists spent time researching and predicting weather patterns but God simply thought it up and imagined how it would work. He directed the clouds and the winds and made rain available to us all. It's a miracle. The rain is a miracle. It's beautiful.

After 6 months of nothing but sun, the rain has got me all giddy like a schoolgirl. You don't rave on about it in Malaysia. In fact, most people complain about the rain and how it spoils their day. But once you don't have it as regularly anymore, it all changes. I'm guessing this applies for everything.

Which brings me to a point. With the world shrinking because of the internet and global connectivity, we may not miss each other as much when we're apart. But I think when the day comes that we're all together once more, it will be so amazingly special that it surpasses all emotions.

Have a nice rainy day.

____

**
On the side note, I was being serious about the smell of dog poop. Having almost no grass at all anywhere, the smell of freshness doesn't really happen. And since nearly EVERYONE owns a dog here, the smell of urine and poop prevails. A gross thought I know.. but that's another thing to be thankful for to you guys at home.

Cheers.


No comments: