This blog has now reached it's end. The American Adventure has finished. Will there be a sequel in the near future? One will never know, but for now let's let the credits roll...

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Tales from MI - chapter 13

We resume the final chapters of Tales from MI. So that I can get them out of the way for some new stuff coming up.

You've been introduced to all my classes and my teachers so far so now let's move to the extra stuff. Starting off with the Traditional Jazz LPW.

I participated in this LPW for 5 out of the 6 quarters that I was at MI. It was one of my favourite things to do at MI besides the Schroeder Ensemble. We got charts for traditional jazz arrangements by some fantastic jazz composers and it was great to be able to be part of a band and rehearse on a regular basis each week. And well, it's jazz. I love anything to do with it.

Each week we'd turn up and play the chart down with guidance from a teacher for each instrument. I got to hang with Keita Akutsu, an MI graduate from some years ago, and perhaps the most laid back teacher in the entire school. He is an amazing player and I also got to see him live at LACMA once.
















There are some other pics with my band(s) and such that I might put up, or you can be a smart one and go look up some links on facebook with me tagged in it, or check out my photobucket albums.


Also on this chapter we meet the insanity that is Bernie Galane. Look this guy up. He is ridiculous. And I got to meet him for his open counselings. OCs are basically open hours with the instructors for anyone to walk in and ask any kind of questions. It was just amazing to have an insight into this monsters playing skills and technique.



















Next time on TALES FROM MI, we finish up with the great and amazing Schroeder Ensemble! You don't want to miss the grand finale!

No comments: